Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Cinnamon Spiced Chickpea & Sweet Potato Salad

Cooking for me has always been rejuvenating and especially when I'm mixing and trying something completely new and different. Kitchen is a space where I get lost into different flavours. I started cooking at an age of 11 and even till today I've always enjoyed every bit of it. I'm sure everyone of us have that private space to rejuvenate :)
Indian salads are very limited and I guess we  tend to concentrate more on the mains.Chopping of some cucumbers and onions is the last minute thingy, just to include some greens in the diet.
I've always enjoyed making salads and that's why  I try to mix and match different flavours and these healthy experiments are worth a try to include in your daily diet.






2 cups chickpeas, boiled or canned
2 cups  sweet potato, cut into cubes
1 tomato, cut into thin slices
7-8 basil leaves
2tbs olive oil

for dressing
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp wasabi paste
1tsp red wine vinegar
1tbs olive oil
2tbs tahini (home-made)
salt to taste





Grill the tomato pieces in oven, griller or pan. I grilled the tomatoes in a pan with 1tbs of olive oil. Grill on both sides and set aside to cool.
For the sweet potato, place the sweet potato cubes into a pan of boiling salted water and cook for five minutes. Drain and dry well. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the potato cubes and sauté on all sides until golden-brown. Allow it to cool.
Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients for the dressing. Mix chickpea, sweet potato and basil  with the prepared dressing. Allow the salad to set for half an hour before serving.
Decorate the salad with grilled tomatoes and serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 2 as a meal.





My Taste buds: My favourite combination of tahini and cinnamon makes it a combo again. Although wasabi seems to be lost in the mingle and you feel that you did taste it. Overall a successful experiment.

This is my submission to My Legume Love Affair, hosted by Lisa's Kitchen and The Well-Seasoned Cook, to SOS Challenge - sweet potato, hosted by Diet, Dessert and Dogs and Affairs of Living, to Souper Sundays hosted by Kahakai Kitchen and to Thanksgiving dishes hosted by gluten free easily. Sweet Potato on FoodistaSweet Potato

6 comments:

  1. Just yum! Thanks so much for your submission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'd love to try this one! I'm a chickpea lover and this combination sounds so intriguing. Love your words on being in the kitchen and rejuvenation, too. Thanks so much for liking this recipe as a Thanksgiving favorite to our Gluten-Free Holiday event!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tempting and beautiful salad..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome, Megha! I love the combination of flavours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great combination of ingredients and flavors! Thanks for sharing it at Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...